And so it rained most of the night, and when we woke up the tent definitely needed to dry. We packed all our stuff, got cleaned up, had breakfast, towelled off the tent and by 9ish we were ready to go. We decided to go into town (Port Macquarie) to see how it was. It was nothing really special, but we took a quick walk around and along the bay and saw that all the rocks were painted; apparently people painted with people's names, dates, remembrances, accomplishments (a few were about an Ironman), etc. very very cool...and that was basically it for the town.
By 10 am we were on the road, direction Dorrigo Natural Park. We read it was a really nice park, with waterfalls and a rain forest so we drove the super twisty 30 km to get up there and go take a look. The first thing I see when we started the walk in the rain forest was a sign warning about leeches..ew. So I try to ignore that, and 20 or so minutes later, we see another board describing the birds the live in the forest...and the fact that green pythons live in the trees and prey on the birds. Nice, I thought..so I made sure I didn't look up at all: sure as heck I didn't want to see one of those.
I lasted about 30 minutes and then I had to get out of there; mental note, you need to wear bug spray in the rain forest, especially if you are me. And I conveniently forgot it, so I was getting eaten alive by mosquitoes: so David went on to finish the walk (he was in heaven) and I high-tailed out of there....literally running (I know, silly me).When Dave got back, we went on to our next location: I told him I would be willing to visit any winery he wanted to if we could be done with hiking in forests, so we went toward the beach...final destination Woolgolga. We got to the campground early and we picked one right on the beach. Now this is not the super duper white beaches of Jervis Bay (we got really spoiled there) but it will do.
We went for a nice walk on the beach to stretch our limbs, and we noticed all these weird tiny balls made with sand that looked like fireworks, with a little hole in the middle. We figured out it was tiny little crabs that were doing that and we even got a picture of the little creature. Very cute.
We went back to have dinner: we chatted for a while with a nice family that was at the camp kitchen; they are from Brisbane and we were talking about winter, how it's snows in Colorado, and them telling us how their house doesn't have heating since they don't really need it. It would be nice to live in a place where you don't need heating ;). We went to bed and to ready for a very hot and humid night: you can actually see the mist from the sea in the air.