Dave was in heaven; me, not so much. I love hiking, don’t get me wrong, but I love hiking in very open spaces, where I can look as far as the eye can see at all the jagged peaks. I’m not a huge fan of forest hiking, especially when I have no idea what lurks in the dark there. I’m happy to report that we didn’t get eaten by any dingos, bitten by any spiders – that we know of; if I wake up tomorrow and I’m able to climb walls, I’ll be sure to report.
Immediately after we started the walk we spotted 2 colorful parrots and of course we took the obligatory 20 pictures. We continued walking passing bushes that were taller than me – I know that doesn’t say much, but they were “way” taller than me.
We got to the first lookout and we spotted the first waterfall called Horsehoe Fall: the views are stunning, even if there are no jagged peaks: the whole valley is so thick with trees you can’t see anything below them: it’s like a giant, thick, green carpet. The entire area has a blue “hue” to it (hence the name Blue Mountains) and that is due to the light reflecting off the oil of the eucalyptus trees. Needless to say it smells amazing.
We went all the way to the Govetts Leap, passed Bridal Veil fall and decided to turn around: we had at least 1 hour to go back, and definitely not enough water. It was really hot and humid, and the bugs would not give up on us, so I was very glad when we reached the campground again. Kristi would be happy to know it was uphill both ways.
We showered (God that shower felt so good), had lunch, and decided to do laundry so it could hang in the sun to dry. We wanted to take a break and chill for a while anyway…way too hot to do another hike. So we sat around in the shade, drank coffee and ate some cookies, and while I caught up with the blog David chased parrots around to take their picture.
By the way, so far we’ve driven 2,322 km (1450 miles) in 6 days, and taken 980 pictures between the two of us (that is day 11 as far as the picture taking). Just in case you wanted to know.